Sunday, September 07, 2008

Bali Hai







Heaven above & hell below
and we stand here betwixt
yet who can tell where men will go
for that is not affixed.
Well, I know where I want to go and its definitely not some forsaken desert tundra. Yet here I sit again in that distant vale. Yes, I am back in Provo. It's not that bad but I couldn't help but notice a contrast between the obvious tropical beauty of Hawai'i and the more, how shall I say, nuanced desolate beauty of Utah.

Hawai'i was great by the way, and if they let me stay, I would. It was nice to be able to enjoy time with my family whom I love so dearly. We got to explore the natural wonders of Maui, go to luaus, surf a lot, and we went to this neat slack key guitar show. If you've never listened to slack-key guitar it's probably because you're not very cool. We saw Dennis Kamakahi and George Kahumoku Jr. and then I got invited over to George's house to jam with him the next day. He was real nice guy. He let me borrow one of his guitars for the week. If Karen reads this maybe she'll send me the picture and I'll post it up here.

Contrast

1 comment:

Guileless Mom said...

Emile de Becque: When all you care about is here, this is a good place to be.