Saturday, July 11, 2009

Alternate Gettysburg

In preparation for the OAT I have recently returned to the BYU library to spend the arduous hours necessary to qualify the taking of such a test. I was looking around for a quiet, secluded spot when I remembered the science fiction section (PZ something or other). I thought that would be a great spot. It's always funny for me to walk by and look at the weird books there. Check out these covers!
I'm not going to lie, if my sisters wouldn't have mercilessly teased me, I would have read this stuff.
Anyways, I was admiring these titles when I happened upon this one.
I realized that the world needed to hear about this book! In case your wondering, the book delivers exactly what you would expect--shocking alternate views of how the Civil War could have happened. Imagine if Lincoln hadn't given his heart rending speech at Gettysburg but rather a bloodthirsty denunciation of the rebel scum! That's exactly what author James M. Reasoner depicts in his gripping story Blood of the Fallen. I had to know what happened. It begins smoothly ( Four score and seven years ago...) then Lincoln begins those famous and beautiful lines "But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate...we can not consecrate...we can not hallow this ground." Here however is where things go awry. At this point Lincoln doubles over in pain then clutching the podium lifts himself up and says that the only way to really consecrate the ground (now I'm paraphrasing, the author, obviously more talented with words did a much better job) was to wash it with rebel blood. Lincoln gets a crazy look in his eye and goes on to muse of how great it would be to be a young soldier and be able to kill rebels. To say I was shocked would be an understatement.
Anyways, as I read this, I realized that there was a whole sea of books that I have been ignoring. I've been wasting my time with "Classics" when there's great mind expanding stuff out there. I decided that I'm going to try and help these books get out to the people. So here you go people, Alternate Gettysburg, read it.

4 comments:

The Tay-Hoo Kid said...

A dream come true for me. I hate rebel scum

sodapop said...

have you ever read: http://www.amazon.com/Bombproof-Your-Horse-Confident-Encounter/dp/1570762600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247506111&sr=8-1

i'd give serious thought to making this purchase, brother boyer. me and the guys have been talking and we had to question your horse's confidence and obedience.

Delgado Fam said...

Who is it that declares what a "classic" is?! Who's to say this can't be one?

Will Kindrick said...

maybe it's about time you updated your blog, eh?