Monday, October 22, 2007

A Night at the Opera

Looking towards a brighter future (there's really good nuts at the opera).

















I think I look like my grandpa here. Doesn't Melissa look slammin'? I thought so. Hanalei did her hair. All in all I thought the whole affair was absolutely cordial.















I went to the opera last Friday with Melissa Juarez and a bunch of friends. We went to see Wagner's Der fliegende Holländer(the flying dutchman). Its about a sailor condemned to sail the seas until judgment day, unless he can find a woman who will be faithful to him until death. He's pretty sure that she doesn't exist, but ends up finding her.
I thought it was interesting that in the beginning of the opera the captain of the ship says "he who trusts in the wind confides in Satan's mercy." Ironically, it is the wind that blew them ashore that shows God's mercy and affords the maledicted dutchman a meeting with Senta, his redeeming love. The Flying Dutchman is like most operas, melodramtic but beautiful.
We ended up at IHOP. I thought that was a perfect place to go after the opera.

3 comments:

Guileless Mom said...

My, my, my.... TWO blogs in TWO weeks. That makes a blog a week for two weeks straight! I hope we're on to something here!!!

Love the updates Bri! SOunds like you had fun at the ooooooooooooooooopera!

Meg Duffy said...

mel does look so beautful... she has this classic beauty about her that makes us a little jealous....but not in a bad way.

MJ said...

someone said i was on your blog, but i didn't really believe it. you're tooooo nice, brian.